Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring and Summer Sippin'

So clearly I've been pretty terrible at keeping up with this whole blogging thing. I'm new at this and life has gotten really busy in the last little bit, so I hope you'll forgive me.

The hiatus does not mean that I have not been drinking, enjoying and thinking about wine however--lots of fun things to report in the next little bit. But for now I just want to talk about my latest new discovery and wine love, the 2011 Preto Rosado. This wine is imported by José Pastor and holy god is it good! It's rare that a wine can be this intellectually interesting and also so damn delicious. Made entirely of the Prieto Picudo grape from the region of Tierra de Castilla (located just east of Bierzo) by Gregory Perez, who is officially one of my favorite winemakers in Spain. His 2008 Mengoba Bierzo Blanco is one of my absolute favorite white wines of the last year (it smells exactly like flat Champagne in the best possible way); also love the 2010 Brezo Mencía, which for $16-17 is one of the best red wine buys out there.

But back to the story at hand...the Preto Rosado is one of the more interesting rosés out there. Hard to even call this a rosé I realize, as it is darker than many red wines--classic Provençal it is not. But don't let the dark color dissuade you from picking this up, it is not in the least bit sweet. Rather it tastes of delicious ripe strawberries, earth and herbs. Absolutely delicious, food friendly and a great value (last year's version was more like $20, this is in the $15-17 range). The Preto Picudo vines that make this wine are in the 70-80 year old range, are untrained and seriously look like weeds that need to be taken care of.  Apparently the grape is traditionally used to make rosados, which is kinda bizarre and totally cool. Vineyards are at a high elevation as well. Not yet available in the states, but when it is I will be drinking a whole lot of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment